Improved Crimson Will Face B.U. In Beanpot Basketball Tournament

By Jonathan P. Carlson

Last year, the Harvard basketball team won its first game of the season against a strong Boston University squad. This year, the Crimson will be out to get its first win against B.U. again when it faces the Terriers in the opening of the Beanpot Tournament tonight at 6:30 p.m. in the Boston Garden.

Harvard, with its corps of sophomores, won't have to stop All-East Jim Hayes, who graduated, but it will need poised play from its upperclassmen to lead the squad to a victory in its season opener and a chance to play in the finals of the Beanpot next Monday.

The winner of the Harvard-B.U. game will face the winner of the Northeastern-Boston College contest for the Beanpot championship at 8 p.m. Monday in the Garden.

"We'll need a lot of leadership from our lettermen. B.U. will be higher than a Georgia pine for this game, and we can't afford to be looking past this one [to Saturday's Ivy opener against Dartmouth]." head coach Bob Harrison said yesterday.

Need a Boss

The Crimson had trouble getting going against the freshmen on Nov. 20 because no one took charge until junior guard Matt Bozek came off the bench to spark a 12-point splurge.

The varsity eventually won that game, 108-66, but failure to take early advantage of superior size and ability because of lack of leadership against the Terriers could make a Harvard triumph more difficult.

"They're a tough but inexperienced team," said captain Dale Dover, who could become the leading all-time scorer if he continues scoring as he has the past two seasons. "We'll have a height and depth advantage on them, though, and because of that I think we'll take them," he said.

Personnel

Sophomore James Brown will team with Dover in the backcourt, and senior transfer student Hal Calbom. who edged out 6-5 sophomore Marshall Sanders for a starting spot, will play forward opposite 6-7 Floyd Lewis. Tom. Mustoe, a 6-8 sophomore, will start at center.

Harrison plans to work more off the post, with more frequent picking to set up tall-short switches that would give the Crimson an easy inside shot.