Ad Hoc Committee Issues CRR Election Proposals

By Arthur H. Lubow

In any modern bureaucracy, when one committee is having problems another one is set up to study it.

Issuing the latest memorandum on the lifeless Committee on Rights and Responsibilities, the Ad Hoc Committee on Elections yesterday suggested a new method of electing student representatives to the CRR.

Under the new procedure, each House would create an 11-member committee to decide how its CRR nominees are to be chosen- by ballot, lot, appointment, or any other means. The 11 people in each House would be chosen by lot, and all sophomores and juniors would be eligible. A similar body of 15 freshmen would be chosen.

After making and carrying out this decision, each panel can designate two, one, or no members to serve on the CRR. Freshmen can nominate as many as five.

And finally, the chairman or vice chairman of the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life will put all the names in a hat and pull out four. These may be the delegates.

But if any freshmen or Radcliffe students have been nominated, one of each must be on the CRR. And no more than one representative would be allowed from each House.

Graduate students would be elected differently. The President of the Graduate Student Association would select three 15-member panels- one each for the Humanities, Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences. Each panel, free to determine its own procedures, would nominate three or fewer of its members to serve as CRR delegates. Another lottery, this one drawn by Dean Dunlop, would select two graduate students.

The new proposals come after Quincy House, in a series of poorly attended elections, failed this Fall to select a CRR representative.

The ad hoc committee, created this Fall and chaired by Dean May, consists of representatives from the Rad-

cliffe Union of Students, the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life, the Committee on Students and Community Relations, the Committee on Undergraduate Education, the Committee on Graduate Education and the CRR.

Under the present method, student CRR members are chosen in the Houses, designated on a rotating basis.

Similarly, in a proposal resembling that for choosing a grad student CRR delegate, the five student members on the CUE would be chosen by and from a list of 30 undergraduates, selected from the Houses and the Freshman Council.

A third suggestion would expand the CSCR to include one undergraduate representative from each Harvard and Radcliffe House and two from the freshman class, as well as 16 Faculty members and three graduate students.

If approved by the Faculty Council, the amendments must then be adopted by the Faculty.