Wrestlers Triumph Twice But Fall Short in a Third

Harvard's wrestling team easily defeated the University of Virginia and Franklin and Marshall College but lost a close struggle to William and Mary College, 18-16, in a four-team tournament that ended Saturday.

Franklin and Marshall hosted the three-day dual meet competition in Lancaster, Pa. Going into the final round of bouts on Saturday, the Crimson trailed William and Mary and needed victories in the remaining two matches involving John Henson, 134 pounds, and Dave Scanlon, 190 pounds, to win the meet.

Scanlon entered his bout with William and Mary with a 1-1 record from his two opening matches on Friday night In his first match he won a 3-0 decision over a Virginia rival, who had been undefeated in his last 20 bouts. He then lost a close 4-3 decision to Franklin and Marshall's captain John Steevenson, who was last year's runner-up in the Eastern Championship.

'Very Good'

In the William and Mary match. Scanlon completely dominated his opponent and coasted to a 10-3 decision. "He was very good throughout the whole tournament." Harvard coach John Lee said.

Henson easily decisioned his two opponents before going into the William and Mary bout. In probably the most crucial of the tournament. Henson out-wrestled his 134-pound foe but the Indian's wrestler held on for a 2-2 draw, knowing a tie would mean a team victory for William and Mary.

"I know Josh had a last second takedown and I thought it should have been called. Anyway, Henson did another good job." Lee added.

In the two other meets the Crimson had little trouble disposing of Virginia, 20-8, and Franklin and Marshall, 20-16.

Winning Three

Harvard's Mark Faller, 167 pounds, and Tom Tripp both turned in excellent performances throughout the tournament, winning all three of their bouts.

Faller decisioned his Virginia and Franklin and Marshall foes by close margins, but in between these two bouts he overwhelmed Bill Hobson of William and Mary, 7-2. Hobson was a three-time Virginia high school champion and last year's Southern Conference champion. He suffered his first defeat in over three years.

Without a doubt superior to all his opponents. Tripp coasted to 7-0 and 11-0 victories against. Franklin and Marshall and Virginia. On Friday night he had put the Crimson in favorable position to challenge William and Mary by pinning his opponent in the final period.