Swimmers to Meet Bruins In IAB Sleepers Tonight

By Bennett H. Beach

The excitement in Providence lately centers around the Brown swimming team, which the Brown Daily Herald called a "super team" with an "Olympic hopeful" and which is unanimously rated the best ever at the college.

Nevertheless, the Bruins will be a heavy underdog in tonight's 8 p.m. meet against Harvard in the LAB pool. Brown hasn't beaten the Crimson since a one-point victory in 1939, and no amount of new talent which Brown may have will be likely to end Harvard's streak.

The Crimson will not be as strong as usual, however. Henry Watson and Craig Sewell have left for vacation, and Dan Kobick and Tom Wallace may decide to leave before the meet, too.

Brown, despite being a member of the Ivy League in football, is not in the Eastern Swimming League. Instead, it competes in the New England League, which is composed of smaller colleges and is considerably weaker than the Eastern group.

Brown and Harvard can be compared best by looking at their scores against Springfield. The Crimson topped the Chiefs, 70-43, while Brown suffered an 81-32 defeat.

The Bruins' best chance for success tonight appears to be in the short freestyles. Against Springfield, they won the 50,100, and 200. Eric Shrier, one of the many talented sophomores on the team, won the 50 in 22.8-a good time, but not one which should scare Harvard's Mike Cahalan (21.7) or Paul Horvitz (22.6).

The winner of the 100 and 200 against Springfield was Lance Keigwin, another sophomore and the Olympic hopeful, with times of 50.9 and 1:53.1. These performances will be good enough for first place tonight only if Crimson coach Bill Brooks uses his reserves.

Of course, Brooks may very well use his reserves in these events in order not to ruin Brown's bus trip back to Providence, but he won't reveal his plans until tonight.

Another top swimmer for the Bruins is Cy Miller, who had been the pride and joy of Brown swimming before the arrival of all the sophomores.

Despite having several good performers, Brown suffers from a lack of depth. In several events coach Joe Watmough is likely to use only one entrant.