Tracksters Overwhelm B. C., 89-38 As Spengler, Clayton Win Twice

Harvard's thinelads got back on the winning track last night, overwhelming Boston College 89-38 in a dual meet in the bubble.

Tom Spengler and Bob Clayton were double winners, as coach Bill McCurdy picked up his 150th career dual meet victory.

Clayton was spectacular in taking the 600 yard run and the 100 yard run. In both events, he hung behind the leader until late in the race, and then sprinted past for the victory. Clayton, Mark Connolly, and a B. C. runner were matched pace for pace until the last lap of the 1000. Clayton then moved smoothly out for first place in 2:15.9. Connolly was third at 2:16.8.

Spengler finished less than half a second ahead of John Quirk in the mile, and later held Jeff Brokaw off for a narrow victory in the two mile. Spengler grabbed a short lead on the second lap of the two mile, with Brokaw shadowing him all the way and a B. C. runner just a stride further back. Brokaw held onto second place, and the final lap saw the two Crimson distance men sprint home one step apart.

Track captain Walter Johnson and Ed Baskauskas finished 1-2 in the long jump, with Baskauskas nabbing third in the high jump, just behind Harvard's Bill Bihrle.

As usual, Ed Nosal won the 35-1b, weight and then left to get married.

Joe Naughton heaved the shot 55'2" for a win in that event, and Teddy DeMars was second. Dave Anderson and Ed Dugger earned first and second in the 440, with times of 50.3 and 50.6, respectively.

DelRay Maughn and Dewey Hickman were nipped at the wire in the 60 yard high hurdles, but still contributed four points to the Harvard total. Likewise, Baylee Reid and Chris Alvord were second and third for the Crimson in the 60 yard dash.

The triple jump, a relatively rare event, went to Harvard's Kevin Benjamin with a mark of 45'91/2". Terry Powlis was third in the event. Ed Nosal was far out in front winning the 35-1b. weight throw, and Tom Raskin and Baskauskas were the top two varsity pole valuators.

The freshman meet also went easily to Harvard, 87-30, as freshman coach Pappy Hunt-who has never lost in three years as a Harvard coach-picked up his 29th consecutive win.

"We've got a well balanced squad," Hunt commented after the meet, "with some real class performers." Hunt then cited the pole valuator Jim Kleiger, who has been flirting with the 15' mark and won last night at 14', as a standout.

Fred Linsk, a distance runner discovered and recruited for Harvard track by Erich Segal, lead all the way to win the freshman two mile run in 9:11.4.