Swimmers Top Springfield Then Feast at McDonald's

By Bennett H. Beach

Bill Brooks has a lot to learn from Bob Blackman. Yesterday in the Art Linkletter Nataorium, he had a chance to roll up an insulting victory over Springfield, but chose instead to be merciful, downing the Chiefs, 70-43.

It was the first meet of the season for Harvard's swimmers, who have had the pleasure of beating Springfield 28 times without a loss. The first important meet this year is against Army, on Saturday.

The Crimson piled up points in the two relays and the freestyle events to more than compensate for losses in the diving and some specialty strokes. Brooks chose not to use all his best men in the butterfly, backstroke, and breaststroke, lest he discourage the Springfield team and the enthusiastic crowd of over 200 persons.

The outcome of the meet, however, had been determined after the first five events as Harvard took firsts in all five for a 35-8 advantage. Steve Krause won the 1000 free (10:29), Howie Burns the 200-free (1:54.6), Mike Cahalan the 50-free (22.36), and Dave Powlison the medley (2:08.55).

But if the meet wasn't exciting, dinner was, Krause spotted the golden arches as the team headed down Boston Road in Springfield. "There they are!" Krause yelled and rushed to the front of the bus.

Ronald

"This is a fitting conclusion to the meet," Toby Gerhart mused while finishing his Big Mac. Meanwhile, Al "The Barrel" Ackerman was ordering three double cheeseburgers, three shakes, and three apple pies.

Henry Watson passed up McDonald's for the Burger Cottage across the street. "This is the best strawberry shake I've ever had." he said. "It really tastes like strawberries."