Four Booters Are Named All-Ivy

By Robert W. Gerlach

Certainly the names Solomon Gomez and Bill Meyers will be the most missed next fall by the fans looking over the Crimson line-up.

But, considering the prospects of next year's varsity squad, the loss of fullbacks Bill Brock. John Gordon, and Chris Ferner, and the graduation of halfbacks Pete Bogovich and Bezo Cutler will have a far greater effect on the next Harvard team.

The Crimson can count on lettermen Chris Papagianis. Demetrio Mena, and Shep Messing to fill the more visible positions of forward and goalie. On the two back lines, however, Harvard may find starters, but it will find little depth.

"We won't use the 4-4-2 next year." coach Bruce Munro said. "To play it correctly you need at least five good fullbacks, and right now we have only three starters [Chris Wilmot, Rick Scott, and Phil Axten]." Munro is considering a 3-3-4 or 3-4-3 formation.

Munro also decided that the 4-4-2 is not really suited to college soccer. "In pro soccer, a team makes an offensive slash and, when it loses the ball, it walks back to midfield and regroups for defense."

On and On

"But in college soccer there's no chance for the wing halfbacks to come back," he said. "It's on-on-on all the time and we just can't use the formation in that situation.

"We were always offensively oriented this year, and the team never really got the wings moving back and forth on offense and defense. Next year we'll have to concentrate on creating a defensive orientation," he added.

Good, Not Great

Munro feels that Harvard will have a good team next year, but not the depth that this year's squad possessed. "We won't have trouble replacing too many starters. Felix Adedeji is as good as any player we have now," he said. "But we're going to be hard-pressed to find a fourth halfback and fullback.

"We'll be in the thick of the Ivy fight and it would be pretty difficult for us to be less than fourth in New England. But I don't see us as a tournament contender right now."