Cagers Face Indians In Vital Ivy Contest

By Jonathan P. Carlson

According to head coach Bob Harrison, the Harvard basketball team hasn't forgotten its disturbing 83-80 loss to Dartmouth last winter.

With five minutes left in that game, the Crimson was ahead by 15 points, but then the bottom fell out. Center Ernest Hardy and forward Mike Janszewski fouled out, Dale Dover hurt his back, and the Big Green's Paul Erland hit a hot streak that erased the Harvard lead, and left the Crimson stunned.

"People have been saying some embarrassing things about our blowing a 15-point lead, but they forget what happened to Dover and that two of our starters fouled out," said Harrison. "So we want this one real bad, and the players are taking care of getting themselves ready mentally to win it."

If Harvard is psychologically prepared tonight for its 8 p. m. game in the IAB, it could capture its opening Ivy League contest, and prove itself a contender for the Ivy League championship.

But it will have to stop Erland again this year, and hold down sophomore guard James Brown, who scored over 85 points against the Harvard freshmen in two games last season, including a 52-point performance in Dartmouth's freshman upset.

Bottling Up

Dartmouth's 6-10 Jim Masker is a doubtful starter, so the Crimson should have a height advantage. Defensively, Harvard's two seasoned starters, seniors Dale Dover and Hal Calbom, should be able to bottle up Brown and Erland, the Big Green's offensive threats.

"We've been concentrating more on our defensive positioning for Dartmouth." said assistant coach K. C. Jones. "Our weakside play against B. U. gave them too many open shots because we were watching the ball too much," he explained.

The Crimson will have to be more organized offensively against Dartmouth than they were against B. U. Tuesday because the Big Green will be able to capitalize on sloppy ballhandling and turnovers with its tight zone defense and pesky full-court press.