Crimson Fencers Open Season Against Shallow S. M. U. Today

The Harvard fencing team opens its season this afternoon in the LAB against Southeastern Massachusetts University, but Crimson coach Edo Marion isn't much worried about it.

"We never worry about S. M. U.," he said. "We always win against them. But it's good to break into a new season with a weaker team, so you can get over the stage fright."

This season-Marion's 18th as the Harvard fencing coach-could be one of the most interesting in a long time. "We have a good strong team this year, and we expect to do well. My prediction is either first, second, or third in the Ivy League."

With two-time All-Americans Tom Keller (foil) and Larry Cetrulo (sabre) to anchor the squad, Marion's biggest problem again this year will be depth.

In the NCAA meet, where only one man in each event from each school is entered, Harvard has been outstanding, finishing fourth last year and second the year before. But in regular season dual meets, where three competitors are fielded in each event, the manpower shortage has been crucial. Last year's 6-8 mark included more Harvard losses than any other season in history, and the 1-4 Ivy record put the Crimson tied for last in the league.

"Last year we couldn't produce the third man, and the second man wasn't very good either," commented Marion. "But we're far deeper this year in all three weapons."

"It's possible that everybody will fence today," said Marion. "because I want to see how strong the second team is. Our real test comes next week against CCNY. After that, we'll be able to tell how good the season will be, and if we're as good as we think we are."

The bulk of the fencing season is in February and March, with only two matches scheduled before vacation, and only one other in January. Harvard will face Columbia, the defending league champion, on January 16. Marion again rates the Lions, along with Princeton and Penn, as the toughest opposition.

A changed format this year will enable dual matches to be completed much quicker, within about an hour and a half instead of the three or four hours required last year. Using newly-installed metal strips, the squad can run the two electric weapons (foil and epee) at the same time. Sabre, scored by officials, must be held separately.