Amherst Racquetmen Pose Major Threat to Crimson

By Robert W. Gerlach

Harvard's varsity squash team will face its first serious challenge of the season this afternoon when the Crimson racquetmen meet Amherst at 3 p.m. on the Hemenway Courts.

For two years Amherst has suffered through horrendous seasons, but this fall coach Ed Serues has five returning seniors. Last Saturday, Amherst pulled off the first major upset of the squash season when it defeated Navy, which was rated just behind Penn in the East, 5-4.

Navy won three individual matches in its team loss to Penn last Wednesday. So if Harvard can beat Amherst today by 6-3 or better, the Crimson will rate a much better chance against Penn than most early season predictions indicated.

Lord Jeffs Strong

But a 5-4 victory over Amherst will be difficult. The Lord Jeffs are extremely strong at the top of the ladder. Amherst swept the top four matches against Navy, including a win at number one by southpaw Mike Pelletier over Navy's Bob Custer, who is considered the second best collegiate squash player behind Penn's Palmer Page.

Harvard coach Jack Barnaby was impressed with Amherst's record, but he felt confident entering the match. "I'm glad they are strong at the top." he said. "We're also strong at the top. And we're strong in the middle and we're very strong at the bottom."

The Crimson should have a definite advantage low on the ladder, for Serues said his team "is very, very weak" at eight and nine.