Law Students Win Delay of Hearing On Black Sit-Ins

By Mark H. Odonoghue

The Law School faculty has postponed from today to Feb. 24 a special meeting in which it will discuss for the first time the Administrative Board's disciplinary actions against five black students involved in the University Hall disruptions.

Stephen M. Bernardi, secretary of the Ad Board, said yesterday that two of the five students have requested a postponement so that they can have more time to prepare statements for the faculty meeting.

But the two students-whom Bernardi refused to identify-may decide not to submit a statement or appear before the faculty, according to Carl M. Basnett, a first-year law student and president of the Harvard Black Law Students Association.

Basnett said yesterday afternoon that he knew nothing of the students' request, but last night, after speaking with both students, he said, "It's not absolutely certain they will be coming [to the meeting]."

"In neither case is it going to be a question of copping the plea." he said. "Right now we are examining the issue from a strategic point-of-view."

None of the students participated in the hearings held last week, although Gregory K. Pilkington, a second-year law student and teaching fellow in General Education, appeared briefly to submit a statement. Pilkington, who was involved in the Nov. 19 SDS sit-in, was suspended for the rest of the year.

In its report issued Tuesday night, the Board gave the students the option of appearing before the faculty or submitting a statement. It also allowed for a postponement of today's meeting if the students requested it.

The Board said that the effective date of the punishments will be postponed until the Feb. 24 meeting.