Crimson Foilers Face Quakers

By Martin R. Garay

After winning its last two matches easily against weak squads, the varsity fencing team will have to struggle to beat Pennsylvania, defending. NCAA champions, this afternoon in the IAB.

The Crimson had little trouble disposing of Trinily College and Holy Cross this past week because both those schools really don't take fencing seriously. This afternoon, the Quakers will not let the Crimson forget that they are competing against one of the best teams in the nation.

Along with winning the NCAA title last year. Peun shared the Ivy League title with Princeton, playing six fencers on the first and second All-Ivy teams. The Quakers lost their three first team All-Ivy selections to graduation, but still have seven lettermen, all of whom are starting against the Crimson this afternoon.

Five Straight

Peun opened the season with five straight victories and looked as if it would retain its title without too much trouble. However, in its last two matches the Quaker team has fallen to NYU and Navy. In an interview with a member of the Daily Pennsylvanian, Quaker coach Lajos Csiszar blamed the two losses, in part, on the team's irregular practices. "To win against strong competition you have to practice hard the week before. That is something this team refuses to do." he said.

Because of the three matches in the past week the Crimson has not had a chance to practice. However, the competition has given the second team what it needed most experience. This should aid Harvard at its weakest positions, the number three men in every weapon.

Coach Marion will probably start the match with Rick Tolbert at saber. Larry Cetrulo, who usually begins the matches, will start third. Cetrulo psyched himself too much against NYU and lost his first bout because of it. Starting third will give him time to settle down. Scott Beckett

will fence behind Tolbert.

At the foil, Captain Cliff Ruderman will be followed by Tom Keller and Gilbert Castle. Mistakenly called Phil in yesterday's CRIMSON, Gilbert is starting today because of his excellent performance against Holy Cross Thursday.

John Reitz Mark Irvings and Eliot Hurwitz will try to get past the strong Penn epee team.

If Penn didn't take the Crimson seriously and failed to practice regularly this week, the Crimson could squeak by in a very close match.