Racquetmen Vie For Ivy Crown With Penn Today

Thus spoke the Penn squash team:

"We're going to destroy Harvard." junior Jeff Condon, opposing the Crimson's Ed Atwood at number four, said.

"We have the same depth this year. . . We'll beat Harvard again," captain Pete Singer added.

If you have read the Daily Pennsylvanian this winter, you have discovered a particular sentence that always appears near the end of squash stories: "But the big match will come on February 14 when Penn travels to Cambridge."

Smug

It is not a statement of fear but rather a kind of smug "We're winning spectacularly now but wait till you see us at Harvard" line. Penn is ready, and Penn is extremely confident.

Both the Quakers and the Crimson are undefeated. At the start of the season it was widely acknowledged that neither team could be defeated except on a February 14. At 2 p. m. this afternoon in Hemenway Gym, the Ivy and national Intercollegiate Titles will be decided.

The setting is a recreation of last year's battle. Harvard had clinched the Intercollegiate title because Penn had been upset by Williams earlier in the season. But the Ivy title, and more importantly, the pride of the two teams was on the line.

Only Two

Harvard had the two finest squash players in the nation in Anil Nayar and Larry Terrell. All the Crimson needed was three victories at the bottom seven positions. All the Crimson got was two.

Harvard has a revenge motive, but Penn still seems to carry the momentum from last year's upset. The Daily Pennsylvanian and the Penn squash team have promised Philadelphia a victory.

Harvard's coach Jack Barnaby has a different style. "All this kind of stuff is just a lot of hot air. Anyone who makes a prediction is only whistling in the dark." he said. Barnaby's expectations? "We'll win one match and split the rest." Barnaby said. "I hope," he added.

The effect of Penn's ego-defense mechanism is hard to predict. As the Crimson's number two man, John Ince interpreted it, "If we win we'll say it psyched us up, and if we lose we'll say their confidence helped them."

Toss-Up

Statistically the match is a toss-up. Penn's record includes victories over Navy (6-3), Army (9-0), and Williams (8-1), Harvard's record includes victories over Navy (7-2), Army (8-1), and Williams (6-3).

At number one, sophomore Palmer Page, undefeated in fifteen varsity games, faces captain Larry Terrell, top-ranking collegiate player in the nation. Terrell is the only Crimson player who is clearly favored to win his match.

If Harvard has a weakness it is perhaps at number two and three. Unfortunately, Penn is extremely strong at the top. At West Point last week, Elliot Berry and Mason Gerhart easily defeated the Cadets' top two players.