Icemen Crush Indians, 8-1, As Senior Line Scores Six

By John L. Powers

(Special to the CRIMSON)

HANOVER, N. H. Harvard's new-look hockey team blew overrated Dartmouth ?? Ivy League ?? last Saturday morning with a fairly impressive 8-1 ?? at the ?? Davis Rink.

Crimson coach Cooney Welland, concerned about his squad's frustrating inability to mount a ?? offensive punch and its frequent ?? at defense ?? just a day before making the Hanover trip, and the results were ????able.

A new ?? first line of George ?? for Ron Mark and Jack ?? of Harvard's goals, including the ?? and indicated that Weiland ?? another high-powered ?? for the stretch run. And ?? of switching All-American ?? Cavanagh to defense, unwise ?? have seemed at first, did ?? the Crimson's faltering coording ?? between the defense and the ????

Sloppy Play

?? of Harvard's winning ?? the Crimson did not exactly blow the Indians into the surrounding Hanover hills. A ten-minute span of sloppy play reminiscent of its performance against Princeton and North-eastern took the sharp edge off the Crimson's game midway though the second ??, and kept a game that should have been a runaway quite a bit closer.

But otherwise, Harvard returned to the ?? form it had shown during the last two periods of the ?? game-and that ?? to destroy any pretensions Dartmouth had to a second, or even a third-place berth in the Ivy League standings.

Turco beat Green goaltender Tom Schuster on a breakaway at 5:15 of the first period to provide an early cushion and ten minutes later. Mark did the same, bursting through a lethargic Indian defense and getting a pretty pass from Turco to set up another breakaway.

Mark Strikes Again

After 34 seconds of the next period, Mark struck again, assisted by Turco and McManama, and nine seconds later Turco made it 4-0 on a pass from McManama right off the ensuing face-off.

Dartmouth came back with its only goal at 2:33, beating Harvard goaltender Bruce Durno through a screen with a blazing slap shot from the blue line after the Crimson had had trouble clearing.

But there was little more from the Indians after that and Dan DeMichele and Mark added two more goals at 16:41 and 19:34 of the same period to put Harvard ahead 6-1. Tom Paul added a seventh at 6:28 of the final session and McManama increased the margin to 8-1 with five minutes remaining. The capacity Winter Carnival crowd buttoned their coats and left for lunch.