Stickmen Seeking Revenge In Game Against Quakers

By John L. Powers

Penn couch Jim Salfi called it ". . . one of the greatest upsets in hockey history." ". . . deeply humiliating" said the Harvard CRIMSON. ". . . shocking" added News and Views of Harvard Sports.

These were the reactions of prominent critics-after Penn's formerly woeful hockey team stunned favored Harvard, 54, in overtime last month in New Jersey. The performance received enthusiastic reviews in Philadelphia; it was universally panned in Boston.

But tonight, the two squads meet again on a road show at Watson Rink, and it is highly probable that the script will be drastically revised.

Paper Quaker

Although Penn has improved its hockey program visibly since the days when Quaker squads were matches only for Ivy JV squads the Red and Blue's triumph last month was somewhat of a fluke.

On paper, Penn, has only one line that can compare with any of the Crimson's, and harring divine intervention or Harvard overconfidence, the Crimson should confirm that tonight.

The Philadelphians thought that they had finally put something together when they followed their victory over Harvard with subsequent triumphs at the expense of Yale, Princeton and Connecticut, but recent troucings at the hands of Brown (6-0) and Cornell (11-2) have indicated how much real quality there is at Penn.

Brass Tacks

Still Harvard can scarcely afford to be smug. Overconfidence lost them the first contest with the Quakers, and almost a second against Northeastern a fortnight ago. It is a possibility, although some-what faint, that the same will happen tonight-that Penn will fully expect to duplicate its upset, and that Harvard will feel that it cannot possibly happen twice.

But the evidence against such an occurrence seems clear. The loss last month was a harbinger of internal troubles that plagued the Crimson for almost two weeks, and those problems seem to be fairly well solved now. The new senior line of George McManama centering for Ron Mark and Jack Turco has proved as powerful as any in the league, and Joe Cavanagh has been performing beyond expectations at defense.

Almost as a barometer of the revived Harvard spirit, the Crimson is riding a four-game winning streak, including impressive triumphs over Dartmouth and St. Lawrence in its last two contests.

In addition, Harvard has something at stake tonight-a shot at second place in the league and home ice for the ECAC playoffs. The rave reviews, hopefully, will come from Cambridge this time.