Thinclads, Wrestlers Face Crucial Tests Harvard Matmen Wrestle Tigers For Ivy Lead at Princeton Today

By Robert Decherd

It's all or nothing this afternoon in Princeton. N. J. when the Harvard wrestling team, a bona fide threat for the first time this season, challenges the unbeaten Princeton Tigers for a share of the Ivy League lead at 3 p.m.

The Harvard coaches and wrestlers have known since December that the season would hinge on the outcome of today's match. This belief was confirmed two weeks ago when Princeton literally destroyed the Ivy co-favorite. Penn.

It's been a long time since the Harvard lineup has been as solid as it will be today. Junior Pat Coleman is back from a nose injury, and will start for the first time at 142 after compiling a 6-1-1 record at 150.

Captain Paul Catinella culminated a season-long effort to make weight at 134 Tuesday, and will take on rugged Al Ullyeda, runner-up at 137 in last year's Eastern tournament.

"They certainly have to be favored." Harvard coach John Lee said of Princeton Thursday. "We have to win the close bouts to have a chance."

Key Match

The key match today will likely be between Harvard's Mark Faller and the Tigers' captain, Tom Potts, at 167. Potts blitzed Faller in their last meeting as freshmen two years ago, but Faller has a better record this season.

Records aren't everything, though, as Faller will attest. He was tied Wednesday night by Rutger's Don Brandenburg-who was 5-1 agaisnt weak competition-for the first blemish on a 12-0-0 record.

Harvard stands second in the Ivy League with a 2-1 record, and a loss today would virtually eliminate the Crimson from the title race. A 22-13 loss to Cornell in January is gaining more and more significance.

It is very possible that the match could boil down to the unlimited battle between the Crimson's Jim Abbott and Chuck Dresell. The two heavies are well-nigh indistinguishable: both tied their only common opponent. Ratger's Paul Mitea.

Dave Seanlon could turn the title for Harvard with an upser win at 190 over Emil Delire, but it would take a spartan effort. Delire edged Seanlon, 3-2. in the semifinals of the freshman eastern tournament last year, and Lee described him as "a strong kid: he has to be favored."

Mike Slutzker stayed off a challenge from Bart Harvey, who normally wrestles at 167, and Colin Mangrum to earn the starting role at 158 today.

There is only a slight chance for Harvard victories at 118 and 177, and Princeton's unheaten Steve Garner obscures all hope at 126.