Swimmers Drop to Fourth With 62-51 Loss to Tigers

By Bennett H. Beach

Despite double victories by Steve Krause and Mike Cahalan. Harvard's swimming team lost to Princeton for the seventh straight year. 62-51, Saturday in the IAB.

The loss, Harvard's second in two weeks, dropped the Crimson out of a third place tie with Princeton into fourth place with a league record of 4-2.

The Tigers picked up important momentum by winning the medley relay in a fast 3:41,3 for a 7-0 lead. Harvard closed the gap to four points when Dave Powlison came from behind to coast by Princeton's Dave Garretson in the 1000-free, but Jack Garretson's narrow victory in the 200-free momentarily quelled the Crimson's aspirations.

The next two races were the highlights of the meet for Harvard fans. Cahalan and Paul Hervitz swept the 50-free, and Krause touched out Princeton's Vaughan Howard in the individual medley to put the Crimson ahead, 23-20. Krause's time of 2:01.7 was only 0.6 seconds off his Harvard record.

But any lead was bound to be shortlived since the diving competition was next, and that is where the Tigers are strongest. An outstanding effort by the Crimson's Dave Silver, however, almost enabled him to upset John Huffstutler, who finished with three good dives to edge Silver by four points.

With the score tied, 26-26, the Tigers followed the diving win with a sweep of the butterfly, when Harvard's John Munk came in worse than second for the first time in his three years here.

Cahalan brought his team back within four points of the lead with a 49.2 win in the 100-free, but Princeton retaliated with a first in the backstroke.

Again, the Crimson narrowed the gap on Krause's triumph in the 500-free ?4:57.00. only to have the Tigers sweep the next event-the breaststroke. That pretty much settled matters, for Harvard needed a nearly-impossible sweep in he three-meter diving and a win in the final relay to overcome the Tigers.

The Crimson easily won the relay, but Princeton had already swept the ??ive by a wide margin.