Tenant Vote Ratifies Plan For Housing

The Roxbury Tenants of Harvard ratified unanimously last night a relocation housing development proposal for tenants displaced by medical construction.

The proposal was drawn up by the tenants and their urban consultant, John Sharratt. The tenants' association will present the proposal to the Corporation in about three weeks, after it is finalized.

Housing Suggestions

The proposal stipulates that Harvard:

build 200 units of low-income, lowrise housing with a sufficient proportion of three-and four-bedroom apartments;

not demolish existing housing until comparable relocation provisions are made;

initiate immediate repair of safety hazards in existing housing.

The proposal specifies areas for the expansion of the University and its affiliated medical institutions into the surrounding area. It also includes plans for construction of parking garages, special emergency access to hospitals, and relocation of shops and restaurants affected by medical expansion.

Harvard Undecided

The University has not yet decided upon a plan for construction of relocation housing. It has pledged that new housing at comparable rents and in nearby areas will be built before evictions begin in January 1973.

Two members of the Corporation, George F. Bennett and Albert L. Nickerson, are now considering tenant demands for relocation provision and maintenance repair.