Cambridge's 1970 Budget Nears $40 Million Mark

By William R. Galeota

Cambridge City Manager James L. Sullivan has proposed a 1970 Ladget of $38.8 million-some $6 million more than the City spent during 1969.

This sum does not include some appropriations already approved by the City Council. With those included. City spending this year could come close to the $40 million mark.

The largest single increase in the budget-about $2 million-would go to pay for salary increases, new positions, and new programs in the School Department. Pay raises for police, firemen, and other city employees account for another $2.5 million in crease.

Cambridge's 1970 tax rate-the amount of taxes a resident pays per $1000 assessed real estate value-will not be fixed until late spring or summer, when the City receives the so-called "cherry sheet" from the Commonwealth. The sheet shows the City's obligations to and revenues from the Commonwealth and it's agencies, such as the MBTA.

Tax Rate Rise

Sullivan's budget message to the City Council this Monday stated, however, that "it would not be unreasonable" to expect a tax rate increase of as much as $15 over last year's $91.40 rate. In a sharply-worded section of the message, he laid the blame at the door of the Commonwealth:

"The fact of the matter is that cities and towns are not the masters of their own destiny. They are tied to an inadequate and antiquated tax structure devised for a rural society, changes in which can only be made by an uncomprehending State legislature.

"They are burdened further by programs and bills passed at the State level which make further inroads on the financial resources of cities and towns without making provision for funds to support them." the message said, citing in particular MBTA and MDC assessments, and state laws on fringe benefits for public employees.

Summing Up

Summarizing the situation, Sullivan's message said, "The financial picture for cities and towns in the year 1970 is bleak and efforts must be made at the local level to keep costs down, for it is unlikely that help will come from the Commonwealth."

The City Council will begin hearings on the budget in about two weeks, after it receives a detailed breakdown from the manager. The Council can delete items from the budget prepared by the manager, but it cannot add any new items.