Youths Pelt Frosh Crew From Bridge, Heave Rocks, Bottles, Planks; One Hurt

A group of children attacked the freshman heavyweight crew Monday, using rocks, bottles, and pieces of wood thrown from Weeks Memorial Bridge as weapons.

Ted Washburn, coach of the team, estimated that approximately 15 children, ranging in age from 10 to 13, participated in the incident.

Washburn said the barrage occurred in two phases. As the boat passed under the bridge. "two little girls. shrieking obscenities at the top of their lungs. pushed off a board, duly waterlogged. This sort of caromed off the stern pair who prevented it from destroying the shell."

On the other side of the bridge, the children tossed rocks, bottles, and two large boards. One member of the team Jim Morgan, suffered the only injury when a bottle cut his head.

The University police handled the situation, but were unable to identify those who had actually thrown the various objects. They dispersed the children, but did not discipline them. "We should deal very steruly with these kids." Washburn remarked.

Done in Fun

He added. "The kids don't at all understand the seriousness of their behavior. They think they're merely having fun."

Washburn criticized adult bystanders who, he said, did not take the children's behavior seriously.

To prevent future disturbances. Washburn suggested posting a sign on the bridge. He also said that the Business School community should serve as informal policemen. Washburn plans to report the incident to athletic director Adolph W. Samborski.