Enrollment Increases In All AAS Courses

Despite the fact that only one course of the Department of Afro-American Studies is listed in the course catalogue, enrollment in all AAS courses has increased since this Fall, according to Ewart Guinier, chairman of the Department.

This Fall approximately 200 students, both black and white, were taking AAS courses, Guinier said.

Word of Mouth

"Because the Department was not organized until the first day of school, all these courses were left out of the catalogue, and mentioned only in the supplementary lists," he said. "Enrollment has been by word-of-mouth only,"

Guinier said that four students have transferred into the concentration, and none have transferred out, although two have withdrawn and one has transferred from the University. The department now has 23 concentrators.

Even courses that were originally intended to be indivisible have been opened at mid-year because of the great number of requests, Guinier said-at least in cases where the student has some background in the subject matter. In a course such as AAS 22, "Philosophy and Critique of the Black Movement." "it is unlikely that anyone will be admitted halfway," he said.

In AAS 10, the Department's introductory course, taught by assistant professor Ephraim Isaac, enrollment has increased from 41 to 47 students, Guinier said.

Eurollment in AAS 23, "Post-Conviction Rights and Responsibilities," has increased from 8 to 15, and in AAS 24, "The Afro-American Church," from 9 to 14.

Two new courses taught by visiting professor Orlando Patterson-AAS 14, "Caribbean Social Structure," and AAS 30, "African and West Indian Literature" -have proved particularly popular, Guinier said.