A Wee Mo Weppa: The Crimson Oldies Quiz

By Bennett H. Beach and Bruce L. Regan

The answers to this quiz and the winners' names will be published in Tuesday's CRIMSON. All undergraduates at Harvard and Radcliffe are eligible to win the grand prize; other readers may enter, but their entries will not count. An individual may represent a group of students. Decision of the judges is final.

Bring entries to the CRIMSON, c/o BHB, by midnight Sunday. Anyone answering all 80 questions and the bonus correctly will win the complete record collections of both authors. Members of the CRIMSON and their families are not eligible.

1. Who sang "Stagger Lec" and "Lawdy Miss Clawdy?"

2. What did Skeeter Davis do as a follow-up to "End of the World?"

3. Who sang "Do You Wanna Dance" before anyone else?

4. Very few people know if Stevie Wonder had reached puberty when he first made the charts. We don't either. But we do know how old he was. Give Stevie's age at the time of his first record.

5. What was Buddy Knox's first big hit?

6. Who sang "You Talk Too Much?"

7. A song called "I'll Hide My Love" was popular about nine years ago. The Short Cuts sang it, but on what label?

8. Two singers, both with the surname Lawrence, sang "The Old Philosopher" and "Footsteps." What were the first names, and which of these two songs did each sing?

9. An English group did a rendition of "Tossin' and Turnin'" five years ago. Who did the original?

10. What was Betty and the Emblems' biggest hit?

11. Who sang "100 Pounds of Clay?"

12. What's the flip side of "Eve of Destruction" by Barry McGuire?

13. What famous singer and his date would have had fun and plenty of time if they'd left home at quarter to nine?

14. Lou Christic thrilled teenyboppers everywhere with his tales of passion in "Lightning Striking Again" and "Rhapsody in the Rain." What was his first big hit?

15. Sonny Till and the Orioles and Elvis Presley both sang a certain song. What was the title?

16. What singer left sure success with the Dovells to try it on his own?

17. "Rama Lama Ding Dong" was much more popular than the automobile for which the group was named. Which group sang this song?

18. What singer did "Secretly" and "Bimbombay?"

19. Who sang "Goodbye, Jimmy, Goodbye?"

20. Name two big hits by Johnny Horton.

21. When did Connic Stevens make a hit of "Sixteen Reasons?"

22. Who sang "Mule Skinner Blues?"

23. Ray Peterson did "Corinna, Corinna." He also did a song about a stock car race. What did he name that song?

24. Who sang "He's a Rebel?"

25. What was the parody follow-up to "Teenager in Love?"

26. A girl lied to Del Shannon. He told the world about it in a song. What was the name of the song?

27. What record label did Chubby Checker put out his early hits on?

28. The Tremolos made a hit out of a song which was originally on the flip side of a record by the Four Seasons. What was the record which this was a flip side of?

29. The same singer did "Don't Bet Money, Honey" and "I've Told Every Little Star." Who was she?

30. This group has come up with hits sporadically for over ten years. Their first one was "Tonight I Fell In Love." Who are they?

31. Who did "The Watusi" and the original version of "Hang On, Sloopy?"

32. Who did the original version of "Hushabye?"

33. Loneliness is a common theme in old rock 'n' roll songs. Name a song title by each of the following singers which contained the word "lonely": Paul Anka, Gary Stites, Dion, and Jackie Wilson.

34. What was Mark Dinning's hit song about the railroad?

35. Herman's Hermits copied a song made popular by the Rays. What was the name of the song?

36. Who went "Tweet, tweet, tweet-ilideet?"

37. Three young singers in the late fifties and early sixties were all from Philadelphia and loved spaghetti. What were their singing names?

38. The Beach Boys claimed that there was a car that could outdrag a Corvette. What size engine did this car have?

39. Who sang "Next Door To An Angel" and "Calendar Girl?"

40. Who did "Happy, Happy Birthday, Baby?"

41. The Moonglows did a song whose title had Biblical allusions. What was the name of the song?

42. Who was the first to sing "Stay?"

43. What was Marcie Blane's greatest hit?

44. What label did the Everly Brothers release their first records on?

45. Homer and Jethro sang the follow-up to a song about fighting. Name the original song and the follow-up.

46. According to Johnny Horton, what British ship did the Bismarck sink?

47. What modern-day Romeo joined his drowning sweetheart in the river down by the coal yard?

48. The Rocky Fellers sang about a girl who saw her guy dancing with Maureen. What was the song's title?

49. Dick Clark used to hand out big green buttons with white lettering on his show, which was sponsored by Beech-Nut Gum. What four-letter word was printed on the buttons?

50. Who sang "Tall Paul?"

51. Like most teenagers, young singers had sweet tooths. One sang "Gingerbread" and used "Blue Betty" as a flip side. Who was he?

52. A group popular many, many years ago sang "Save the Last Dance For Me." They also did "When My Little Girl Is Smiling." Who was the group?

53. "If I were you, I'd take a permanent vacation" is a line from what song?

54. Where did Betty meet Jimmy, a guy who later died?

55. What was Donnie Brooks' big hit?

56. You were expected to wear tight blue denim pants in 1957, but there were those who wore shorts. Who sang the song about these nonconformists?

57. "Can You Jerk Like Me?" and "Do You Love Me? (Now That I Can Dance)" were done by the same group. What was the group's name?

58. Who did "Locomotion?"

59. What was Tommy Roe's first hit before he went on to such classics as "Sweet Pea" and "Jam Up and Jelly Tight?"

60. Who really did put the bomp?

61. Temperamental adolescents are famous for giving ultimatums. Who said, "It's Now or Never?"

62. The Crests, Johnny Crawford, and Kathy Young all sang about birthdays. What were the names of those three songs?

63. If you "Think" and you're still "Bewildered," you're in the same boat as a singer who's been famous for over a decade. Who is he?

64. As any teenager can tell you, there are sixteen steps of love. But the teenager often runs into trouble when he can't remember the proper order. What is the fourth step?

65. Who has a pretty senorita waiting for him in Old Mexico?

66. Who did "Let the Little Girl Dance?" Hint: He has a plain name.

67. "Wild One" and "Swingin' School" were done by the same greasy artist. What was his name?

68. "Happy Organ" was a song about a musical instrument. Who did it?

69. The searchlights combed the skies looking for a missing airplane and a young girl. What color were the girl's eyes?

70. Which group sang "Come Softly To Me" and "I'm Mr. Blue?"

71. Remember the guy who was cleaning up in the tub, and all of a sudden realized there was a party going on down in his living room? Sure you do, but what was his name?

72. Who took a girl from Tallahassie to Palisades Park in North Jersey?

73. What was the Cascades' big song?

74. In the Playmates' great hit song, how fast was the Cadillac going when it got passed by the little Nash Rambler?

75. When did Richie Valens make a hit of "Donna," and what was the flip side?

76. The Oedipus Complex lurks in many old times. Two of these-"Welcome Home" and "That's What Mama Say"-were by the same singer. What was his name?

77. Nothing's more embarrassing than crying at your own party. But some girl left the party wearing Johnny's ring, and Johnny was supposed to be Lesley's guy. Who was the cunning girl?

78. Who told Michael to row his boat ashore?

79. Who always calls the English teacher "Daddy-O?"

80. "Please don't mention the stagecoach and the shot from a careless gun"-these are the words of a ???