Indoor Track Team Tries For Another GBC Crown

By Wilson Dubose

Harvard's indoor track squad should again play lead role in a ?? script as the ninth annual Greater Baston Championship meet gets underway today at Harvard's Farrell Track Facihfy commonly known as the Bublle" Most of the field events will be held today in addition to qualifying ?some of the running events. Fiuals in most of the running events will be hold Saturday, beginning at 1 p.m.

The Crimson has clearly dominated the meet since its inaction in 1962, winning seven of them. The only loss came at the hands of North? in 1963. The Haskies should ??? in be the strongest challenger to Harvard this year from a field which also includes Boston College. Boston University, Brandeis. M.L.T. and Tufts.

Cotburn Threatens

Fresh from a successful evening at Now York's M??? Games, captain Keith Colhurn w????? a strong contingent of Crimson ra?ners in the GBC's. Colburn, who ?????? the existing American mark at New York with his second-place finish in the ??00-yard run ?winner Tom Van Ruden set the new record?, will be one of the favorites in the event in the GBC's, along with teammate Roy Shaw. The same pair will probably participate in the mile run. as well.

Junior John Gillis, who last weekend captured the 440-yard dash for-the second straight year at the Boston Athfetie Association meet, will be one of the top contenders in the event this weekend. Teammate Tom Downer, who has defeated Gillis twice in dual meets this season, will be the favorite in the 600-yard run.

In tonight's field events. Harvard's Ed Nosal will be the leading threat in the 35-pound weight throw, and teammate Jake Driscoll should be a contender in what is expected to be a closely-contested shot-put event. As usual, the Crimson long-jump team of Noel Hare. Bob Galliers and John Avaull are favorites in the meet.

Yardlings Favorites

Coach Pappy Hunt's Yardlings are favored to capture their sixth straight GBC crown this weekend in the meet's freshman division. The Crimson has never lost in the meet since it first entered in 1965.

The team registered its latest victory Wednesday in a 77-48 rout of Exeter. Two of the brightest stars to emerge from the squad have been Steve Skane, who tied his own freshman pole vault record Wednesday at ??." and middle-distance runner Dave Elliot, who coach Hunt predicts will be the successor to the grad-nating Keith Colburn next year.