Iceman Play Princeton In Crucial ECAC Tilt

By John L. Powers

Although the remainder of Harvard's hockey schedule is, or at least should be easy, the Crimson will have to hear in mind ?vo valuable points garnered during its current three-game losing streak if it expects to complete the season as successfully as it will have to

not to underestimate any opponent, such as, Penn, no matter how weak he is on paper or from past record

that another loss, except to Cornell this month, will eliminate the Crimson from consideration in the East's top four, and home ice in the opening playoff around as well.

And this afternoon, when Harvard plays distinetly unimpressive Princeton in New Jersey, it will face the first of two teams-Northeastern is the other-that fit the first description, and could make the second come true.

Paper Tigers

On paper, the Tigers don't belong on the same ice as Harvard, Princeton's only apparent weapon is the talent of captain Middy Tilgham in the goal, and even his acrobatics have been insufficient, upon occasion, to rescue the Tigers front abject humiliation.

And with the Harvard game this afternoon and road trips to Yale and Brown scheduled for the next two weeks, Princeton can only hope for mercy.

Princeton has the advantage of the "Baker Rink jinx." But even if jinxes are not necessarify passed on from one Crimson team to the next, there is still another Harvard fault that could play right into the Tigers' paws. Harvard has more trouble than almost any team in the East in trying to hang on to two and three goal leads. Just this winter, it has allowed B.C. to rally for four goals. Clarkson for two, McGill for four and Penn for two-twice in the same game.

Sneaky Cats

Princeton, furthermore, has shown itself to be a dangerous come-from-behind club, if given the chance. Last month, Brown gave the Tigers that chance, and wished it hadn't. Down 3-0 in the second period. Princeton bombarded Bruin goaltender Don McGinnis with five goals within seventeen minutes, and h?? on for a 6-6 tie. If Harvard reverts to its Penn game form, the same could happen.

But in the Beanpot game against B.U. last Monday, the Crimson indicated that it may be ready to play serious hockey through the homestretch-or at least 40 minutes of serious hockey per game. And if Princeton's overrall record (2-11-1) holds true to form, Harvard may not even need ?? minutes today.

The Daily Princetonian, whose criticism of Tiger athletic teams makes the CRIMSON's mild by ??parison, has provided a fairly ac???ite appraisal of the dependability of Princeton's inconsisency.

"Frankenstein wasn't put together in a day." it said recently." and it's going to take hockey coach Bill Quakenbush a little while longer to get his monster into circulation."

When Harvard's Mr. Hyde meets Princeton's Frankenstein, it could be a classic match.