Faculty Designates 18 To Serve on Council; First Meeting Today

By Garrett Epps

The 18 members of the new Faculty Council have been elected, and the Council will hold its first meeting today.

In a mail vote completed Wednesday, the Faculty selected four tenured and two non-tenured members from each of the three major academic divisions-Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, and Humanities-to serve on the Council, which will replace the Committee on Educational Policy and serve as a Faculty steering committee and Dean's cabinet.

The members are:

Natural Science, tenured: Nicholas Bloembergen, Gordon McKay Professor of Applied Mathematics; Andrew M. Gleason, Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy; Gerald Holton, professor of Physics, and George Wald, Higgins Professor of Biology. Nontenured: Ronald V. Book, assistant professor of Computer Sciences, and Mark Ptashne, lecturer on Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.

Social Sciences, tenured: H. Stuart Hughes, Gurney Professor of History and Political Sciences: Edwin O. Relschauer, University Professor: Henry Rosovsky, professor of Economics, and James Q. Wilson, professor of Government. Nontenured: Archie C. Epps, assistant dean of the College; and John Womack Jr. '59, assistant professor of History.

Humanities, tenured: Rogers G. Albritton, professor of Philosophy; Herbert Bloch, professor of Greek and Latin; Alan E. Heimert '49, Powell M. Cabot Professor of American Literature and Master of Eliot House; and Zeph Stuart, professor of Greek and Latin and Master of Lowell House. Non-tenured: Janet M. Martin. Instructor in Classics; and Roger Rosenblatt, assistant professor of English.

The members will serve for three years. John T. Dunlop, acting dean of the Faculty, is chairman of the Council, and Harvey Brooks, dean of Engineering and Applied Physics, is vice-chairman.

In addition to replacing the CEP, the Council will advise Dunlop about proposals to be presented to the Faculty. It will also elect three of its members as a Docket Committee to regulate Faculty debates.

Exaggerated Importance

"I think the easiest mistake is to exaggerate the importance of the Council." James Q. Wilson-a Council member and chairman of the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities-said yesterday. "Potentially the most important power of this council is to select a Docket Committee to regulate Faculty debate. This might help render Faculty debates more intelligible." he added.

Programmed by Students

The council members were selected ona proportional representation system devised by Kenneth J. Arrow, Frank W. Taussing research Professor of Economics.

Five hundred fifty-five ballots-representing about 75 per cent of the Faculty-were counted Friday by a computer using a program devised by students in Nat Sci 110 under the supervision of William H. Bossert, Gordon McKay Professor of Applied Mathematics.

Arrow-who estimated that the ballots would take four people three days to count-said that the computer produced the results after calculating for 15 minutes.