Hockey Squad Brushes Off Tigers, 6-3; Faces Weak Northeastern Team Tonight

PRINCETON, N.J., Feb. 7-Harvard's hockey team took the first step on the road back to Eastern contention Saturday afternoon, disposing of outmanned Princeton 6-3 in the Tigers' cavernous Gothic garage. The second step comes tonight, when the Crimson confronts even weaker Northeastern in the consolation round of the Beanpot Tournament at the Boston Garden.

Although Harvard was never in any serious danger of losing Saturday, its old habit of carelessness in front of its own net cost the Crimson two goals, and blemished what was an otherwise decent job of skating.

Realistically, the Crimson clinched the victory in the first period, when two goals by Joe Cavanagh, the first on a breakaway, and another by linemate Steve Owen, gave Harvard a fat 3-0 lead with a minute remaining to play.

But inexcusable sloppiness during clearance attempts let the Tigers back into the game, and indicated that the Crimson has learned little from losses to Boston College. Cornell and Penn, where defensive carelessness cost Harvard victories.

At 19:15 of the opening period, a mere 21 seconds after Cavanagh had put the Crimson ahead 3-0. Princeton's Jim Tittemore dashed into a logjam in front of the Crimson net, where three Harvard players and a flock of Tigers were kicking and flailing at the puck, and poked it past Harvard goal?ender, Bruce Durno to put Princeton on the scoreboard.

Then after George McManama put Harvard ahead 4-4 with a rebound shot on the power play at 5 minutes of the second period, the same thing happened again. Princeton's Art Schmen was waiting by the Crimson net for the rebound of a point-blank shot triggered by abysmal Harvard clearance, and it was 4-2.

At 11:58. however, defenseman Skip Freeman beat Tiger goaler Middy Tilghman with a blast from the left side, and although Princeton's Rocer Kyle matched it five minutes later. Owen put the game out of reach with a goal at 18:20 of the final period.

So the Crimson escaped unharmed from its first road trip of a stretch run that includes six Ivy matches in eight games. Tonight's scuffle with Northeastern should be nearly the same in terms of tone, quality of opposition, and result.

The Crimson dealt the Huskies their first Eastern loss, 6-3. in early December-and its been all uphill ever since for the Bostonians.