Second-Ranked Terrell is Upset In Semifinals of Cowles Tourney

By Robert W. Gerlach

Larry O'Laughlin, the only unseeded squash player to enter the semifinal round of the Cowles Tournament at the Harvard Club of New York, upset Harvard captain Larry Terrell yesterday and ended any Crimson hopes of gaining honors in the weekend event.

Terrell was the only Harvard player entered in the Cowles Tournament, a competition for the leading amateur players in the nation. In the collegiate division, the Jacobs Tournament, all four Harvard entrants were eliminated in first-round matches.

In the opening rounds. Terrell had little trouble advancing toward the semifinals. He set down Bart McGuire in three straight games. 15-10. 15-6, 15-13, and then easily dumped David O'Laughlin. 15-7, 15-8, 15-11.

But one O'Laughlin was all Terrell could handle. Larry O'Laughlin reached the semifinal round when Ralph Howe, top-seeded player in the tournament, came down with the flu and was forced to default. O'Laughlin played extremely well against Terrell, upsetting him in four games.

Harvard's showing in the Jacobs Tournament divisions was even less rewarding as Crimson racquetmen lost four of five matches. The lone Crimson victory came when sophomore Dave Fish won by default from former Army player Don Williams.

Fish's next opponent was Craig Benson, an 18-year-old Canadian who presently holds the U.S. Junior Squash Title. In a close match. Benson defeated Fish in four games. "He had more experience than I did." Fish explained. "He was a fantastic retriever and won a lot of long volleys."

Fernando Gonzales took the first game from his opponent. 15-7, but Sokolov came back to sweep the final three contests. Sokolov looked exhausted throughout the match, but he continually came through with the big deep shot. Gonzales also was visibly bothered by Sokolov's frequent let calls.

Two Crimson representatives fell to former Harvard players, John Ince carried his first game against Dinny Adams 17-16, but then began to tire and lost, 18-16, 15-7, 15-12. "I've never been so tired in my life." Ince said. "The courts were very hot and he simply had more endurance."

Jaime Gonzales faced Jerry Emmet, and dropped the march, 15-12, 15-8, 15-8. Gonzales had trouble adjusting to Emmer's left-handed attack. "I was deep into the third game before I got used to not playing toward his forehand shot." Gonzales said.

Three Crimson players complained of the tiring effect of the hot courts and long matches, perhaps indicating the effects of the long exam break.