Fencers Challenge Eleven Schools For Intercollegiate Crown Today

By Martin R. Garay iii

After finishing its dual season on a poor note, the varsity fencing team can add a happy refrain if it does well in the Eastern Intercollegiate Fencing Championship starting this morning at M.I.T.

Besides the Crimson, eleven teams-eight of whom Harvard met during the regular season-will be trying for the Intercollegiate crown, Seven of those teams beat the Crimson, and the Harvard fencers would get some satisfaction if, after the two-day competition, they finished higher in the standings than the teams that beat them hardly.

Individual Honors

The Crimson has never won an tutor collegiate championship, and it should be no differcat this year But Harvard's Larry Cetrulo and Tem Keller are in a good position to win individual honors in their weapons.

Cetrulo, who won 31 bouts while losing only two during the regular season, will be in the first pool, competing against the best sabermen on the Eastern seaboard.

He has been on the strip with at least eight of the opponents he will face Saturday. defeating all but one of them, Unless he falls apart-which he has yet to do this year-he should make the finals and win the in lividual crown.

Unlike ???rulo, Keller has not met more than half of his opponents, but he does have the experience of having competed in eleven-bouts tournaments several times before this year.

Pools

Keller will be joined by captain Cliff Ruderman, competing in the first pool. and G? Castle, who will be in the final pool.

Fencers are classified into the three pools by the number of victories each has won during the year.

Along with Getrulo, Rick Tolbert and Scoff Beckett will be at saber. Tolbert finished the season with a 19-17 record, improving near the end of the season. Beckett won four bouts all year. and is the weakest. Crimson competitor in the tournament.

Starting off the competition this morning at 9 a.m. will be the epee team led by Mark Irvings, Irivings has been erratic all year, and will need a steady performance if he hopes to make the final Saturday afternoon.