Faculty May Face Vote On GM 'Proxy Fight' At April 14 Meeting

By Carol R. Sternhell

The Faculty will face a resolution-probably at its April 14 meeting-asking that the Corporation support Ralph Nader in his promised "proxy fight" against General Motors.

Martin L. Kilson, professor of Government, said last night that he has agreed to present the resolution to the Faculty.

"Hopefully this will meet with favorable Faculty response," Kilson said, "It seems a reasonable and sensible proposal."

Kilson was asked to sponsor the resolution by the Young People's Socialist League (YPSL), to which he is an advisor. YPSL earlier this month sent a letter to the Corporation asking that it support the Nader proposals.

However, George F. Bennett '33, Treasurer of the College, said last week that Harvard would definitely vote with GM management if the proxy fight materialized.

Harvard owns 287,000 shares of GM common stock.

"I have a high degree of respect for the management of General Motors." Bennett said. "I think they are concerned with the environment."

Bennett also said then-at a meeting with six students-that no student poll or Faculty resolution would influence the Corporation's decision.

Bennett was not available last night for further comment.

The group of Washington lawyers initiating the proxy fight-supported by Nader and called "Campaign to Make General Motors Responsible"-has submitted nine resolutions to the company's stockholders for consideration.

However, General Motors announced last week that it would not put the Nader proposals on the ballot for its stockholders' meeting in May.

Grass Roots

This means that the Nader group will ask the shareholders to mail ballots to Campaign GM instead of the General Motors management.

The major resolutions would:

enlarge GM's Board of Directors from 24 to 27 seats, adding three representatives of the public. The group's candidates are Betty Furness, PresidentJohnson's special assistant for consumer interests: Rene Dubos, a University of Chicago biologist and environmentalist: and the Rev, Channing Phillips, a Washington, D.C. civil rights leader

change the GM charter to restrict the corporation to operations which are not "detrimental to the health safety or welfare of the citizens of the United States...";

set up a "shareholder's committee" to study GM's impact on the country, including an assessment of its efforts to produce pollution-free engines and safe ears. Its effect on national transportation policy, and in general, the manner in which it handles its economic power.

"All this resolution can do is express the Faculty's interest in the Nader proposals." Kilson said "We don't have any other power over the Corporation."

Steven J. Kelman '70, a representative of Harvard YPSI, said yesterday that YPSI, is looking for other Faculty members to co-sponsor the resolution.

"Student pressure is just starting on this," Kelman said "The Corporation has not heard the last from students."

Kelman s??essed that the Corporation can chan?? its proxy ??te up until the last date that p??xies are due.