On the Phone Information

By Scott W. Jacobs

"INFORMATION, what city please?"

"Washington."

"May I help you?"

"Can you please give me the number of Ralph Nader, crusader against large impersonal corporations and interlocking directorates?"

"Mr. Nader does not have a Washington telephone number, can I give you his Center for the Study of Responsive Law?"

"Yes, that's fine."

"The number is 462-8800."

"CENTER for the Study of Responsive Law, may I help you?"

"Yes, I'd like some information on the Nader proposals to the GM stockholders' meeting next May-"

"Mr. Esposito is the lawyer who is handling that from this office, but he's not here right now. You might try calling him at the Corporate Responsibility division. The number is 387-4222."

"HELLO, Project on Corporate Responsibility, may I help you?"

"Yes, I'm trying to reach Mr. Esposito about-"

"He's not here right now, have you tried calling him at the Center for the Study of Responsive Law?"

"Yes."

Well, then maybe he is in another division. Why don't you try calling the other office. The number is 387-8655."

"CORPORATE Responsibility Project, may I help you?"

"Yes, I'd like to get some information on the campaign to challenge General Motors management at the stockholders' meeting. Can you connect me with someone who can help?"

Make GM Responsible' department."

"CAMPAIGN GM.""Hello, this is Scott Jacobs from the Harvard CRIMSON. I'm trying to get in touch with someone who can explain the campaign against GM management. I think Mr. Esposito is the lawyer in charge."

"Mr. Esposito is not in right now, but let me give you

"Hold on. I'll connect you with our 'Campaign to the home phone number of our chief researcher on the project-Joel Kramer, former president of the CRIMSON-I'm sure he'd like to talk to you."

"HELLO."

"Joel?"

"Yeh."

"This is Scott at the CRIMSON, can you give me the story on the GM..."