Yardling Icemen End Year With 18 Consecutive Wins

"The object of the freshman hockey program is to teach the basic fundamentals of the game and to have fun and the best way to have fun is to win." freshman hockey coach Bill Cleary '56 said yesterday. Win the Yardlings did, as they finished the season with 18 consecutive victories for a 20-1 record.

"This is one of the better freshman hockey teams I've seen," Cleary said. The team boasts the best freshman winning percentage in Harvard history. The freshman teams of 1952 and 1954, led by Cleary and his brother Bob-the varsity career scoring leader-lost only once. However, they won less than 20 contests.

Outscoring their opponents 163 to 52, the Yardlings averaged 7.8 goals-per-game and gave up only 2.4 goals-per-game.

Dave Hynes paced the Crimson with 76 points, narrowly missing Bob Cleary's freshman scoring record of 77, but his 48 goals was a new mark.

Bob McManama, second on the scoring list, produced 64 points and was followed by Steve Harris with 42 points.

Tough Goalie

In the goal. Joe Bertagna's statistics were just as impressive as he stopped 915 of his chances for a 1.75 goals-per-game average.

The only blemish on the Yardlings season was a 6-3 loss to B. U. in December. The Terriers finished at 16-2, losing to Dartmouth and New Prep. The Crimson demolished Dartmouth twice.

Although the Yardlings have a claim on number one in New England, the Cornell freshmen were undefeated. Led by center Carl Ugolii with 82 points, the Red had ten scorers with 40 or more points compared to three for Harvard.

The two teams had only two mutual opponents. Penn and Princeton. The Big Red engineered a three-goal victory over Penn, while the Crimson coasted to an 8-4 win. Against the Tigers. Cornell won 10-5, and the Yardlings won 10-2.

"Our team was hungry and eager, and they came to play hockey," Cleary said. "Our defense came along well and we had three good lines. There'll be healthy competition for positions on the varsity next fall." he added.