Student Members of CUE Plan United Reform Effort

The five student members of the Committee on Undergraduate Education (CUE), all of whom are members of the New College Group (NCG) formed last fall, are planning a united effort in support of fundamental changes in Harvard education.

Richard S. Tilden '71, coordinator of the NCG and Winthrop House representative to the CUE, said last night that the student members of the Committee have agreed that "we don't want patchwork reforms now like the ones that have been going on for several years."

The students hope that the Committee will be able to present alternatives to Gen Ed and concentration requirements for approval at the May 5 Faculty meeting, and that decisions on these proposals can be put into effect next Fall.

The CUE, which was created on the recommendation of the Fainsod Committee, has taken over all the functions of the old Committee on Educational Policy and will serve as an advisory body to the Faculty Council. Dean May chairs the Committee which is comprised of five faculty members in addition to the five students.

Speaking for the Committee, May will recommend that the Faculty discuss the pros and cons of concentration requirements, rate of work, and course credit for non-academic work at its next meeting on April 14.

Although all five student members of the CUE were elected independently of one another, the students view their common connection with New College as fortunate in view of the need for a strong united push toward rapid reform.