Skaters Play Against Yale In Game At Boston Garden

By Bennett H. Beach

It was that time of month again for Yale's hockey team last Tuesday, when the Elis won their first game since early February by topping Providence, 4-1.

In a 1:30 p. m. contest against Harvard today at Boston Garden, the Elis will have a chance to extend their winning streak to two games and to avenge a 6-2 loss to the Crimson last weekend. But if Harvard performs with any respectability at all. Yale's hopes are likely to go unfulfilled.

Once again, however, Yale has great incentives, while Harvard has almost none. If the Elis lose again this afternoon, they will end the season in a last-place tie with Penn and Princeton, teams which are not used to company as distinguished as the Elis at the bottom of the league.

In addition. Yale's hockey program received a tremendous boost last year when the Blue upset the Crimson in the season's second game between them, and after such a discouraging winter this year, the Elis could certainly use another such win.

For the Crimson today's game is little more than a warm-up for Tuesday night's ECAC tournament game against Boston College. Though the Harvard-Yale series is the oldest college hockey rivalry in the country, tradition isn't likely to inspire the Crimson. But Harvard will be careful not to be embarrassed again by the Elis.

Harvard's productive senior line-George McManama, Ron Mark, and Jack Turco-may have a bit more trouble getting the puck into the Yale net today since sophomore Mark Fitzsimmons will be the goalie in place of John Cole.

Cole has been erratic since his return from an injury, and his play against Harvard last weekend was also inconsistent. Fitzsimmons, on the other hand, was spectacular against Providence Tuesday, stopping 50 shots.

No matter how well Fitzsimmons plays, however, Yale must improve on its ability to score. The Blue lacks a threatening power play and has shown a tendency to muff even easy shots on goal.

One of Yale's two goals last weekend came when Durno relaxed, expecting Greg Luck to be knocked down by Fern Flaman, only to have the puck slipped under him into the net.