Kunstler Says the 'System' Has a Choice

By M. DAVID Landau

The system can cause the clenched fist of the movement to open itself in one of two ways, said William Kunstler last Saturday night-extended in brotherhood or curled around the trigger? of a gun.

"The government is perfectly willing to use what it considers a legal procedure to kill a movement." Kuntsler said "Those [individuals] the courts can't destroy the police will."

Kunstler, who was sentenced to four years in prison on contempt of court charges while defending the "Chicago 7" strained his broken voice to say that the trial was "an attempt to destroy those who wish to bring their dreams and visions to life." At the end of his speech, he received a standing ovation from the audience of 1300 in Sanders Theatre.

Speaking before the same audience, John Froines, sentenced to six months on other contempt charges, claimed that evidence for the conviction of all but two defendants was extremely slim.

Fornication

One charge against Abbie Hoffman was inciting to "fornication" in Grant Park, he said, "We all know Abbie. Abbie never used the word 'fornication' in his life." he said

The defendants and their lawyers were not the only ones who were victimized during the trial, Froines added. The jury was sequestered throughout the five-month proceedings, and courtroom spectators were often arraigned for miscellaneous infractions. "The only people who got out were the three prosecutors," he said.

Kunstler and Froines agreed that the most serious moments of the trial were Judge Julius Hoffman's treatment of Black Panther leader Bobby Seale, During the trial, Hoffman ordered Seale bound and gagged by federal marshalls and later sentenced him to four years for contempt.

Both urged that students demonstrate in support of Seale, who is now im-prisoned in New Haven awaiting trial on a murder charge. "It's very important that before Seale goes to the electric chair, he's going to be busted out of jail," Froines said.

The appearance of Kunstler and Froines raised over $2000-through ticket sales-for the Conspiracy Defence Fund.