Rangers Even Series By Edging Bruins, 4-2

By Daniel R. Morgan

The New York Rangers built a two goal lead in the first five minutes of the first period, then matched the Boston Bruins goal for goal for the rest of the game, 4-2, last night at Madison Square Garden.

The victory, the Rangers' second in a row, evened the series at two wins apiece. The teams will return to Boston Tuesday night to play the fifth game of the best of seven series.

With a Boston player in the penalty box for elbowing, New York's Rod Gilbert beat Bruin goalie Ed Johnson at 3:49 of the first period to open the scoring Gilbert picked up another score nearly a minute later to put New York ahead. 2-0.

Phil Esposito brought Boston within one when he took a pass from John McKenzie and rifled the puck past Ranger goalie Ed Giacomin in the middle of the second period. Dave Balon intercepted a Boston pass minutes later and rammed the puck past Bruin goalie Ed Johnson to up the New York lead to two again.

Bobby Orr scored on the power play at 8:41 of the last period to put the Bruins within one again, but Dave Balon countered for New York a few minutes later to stifle the Boston rally.

The work of Boston goalie Ed Johnson helped keep the Bruins in the game. In all, Johnson made 35 saves, including one on a breakaway by Ranger Ron Stewart in the second period.