DeMichele's Hits Lead Crimson To Ten-Inning 6-3 Win Over B. C.

By Robert W. Gerlach

Down 3-2 in the ninth inning. Harvard's varsity nine tied Boston College and then rolled on to a 6-3 ten-inning victory yesterday in the Crimson's opening Greater Boston League game.

"I'm going to savor this one all night," coach Loyal Park said of the victory. "This makes my spring. I may even have a beer when I get home."

Relievers Phil Collins, Dave Fierke, and Curt Tucker combined to hold the Eagles to two hits after the third inning. Dan DeMichele delivered all the runs the Crimson needed, recording four of Harvard's RBI's.

B. C. starter Ed Gillis looked shaky in the first inning. After Pete Bernhard walked on five pitches and Neil Harley hit into a fielder's choice. Dan DeMichele blasted a 370 f. t. home run to right field for a quick two-run lead.

Pete Varney continued the rally with a walk and advanced on a Vince McGugan single. But after Bill Kelly walked to load the bases with still one out, Art Serrano, and Jack Turco popped-up to end the threat.

The Eagles combined a single by leadoff hitter Mike Whitney and a double by right fielder Steve Micherone to narrow the gap to 2-1 in their half of the first.

In the third starter J. C. Nickens got into trouble when two Eagles walked and Dan DeMichele had a double-play line-drive pop out of his glove. Second baseman Bill Medea singled to center two runs, but then righthander Phil Collins came on and set B. C. down in order.

After the third inning, the game became a pitcher's duel. Gillis held the Crimson to six hits through the eighth, while Collins went four innings without yielding a hit.

With its back to the wall in the ninth Harvard tied the score when Berahard walked. Hurley advanced him with a bunt, and DeMichele drove in the run with a broken-bat single to center.

B. C. put two men on with one out in the ninth, but McGugan fielded a sharp grounder, tagged the runner, and threw to first baseman Varney to stifle the rally.

Serrano led off the tenth with a walk and Turco punched a bunt safely between reliever Bill Barton and first baseman Paul Costello. Fierke then helped his cause with a bunt down the third baseline. Kelly, coaching at first, ruled Fierke beat the throw and the umpire, at second, nodded in agreement.

Pete Bernhard singled to right to send the Crimson ahead, and DeMichele and McGugan added insurance tallies with a single and a walk, respectively.

The Eagle was far from dead, though, Fierke walked the first two batters in the bottom of the tenth, and Park called on righthander Curt Tucker. The junior fastball specialist struck out Costello and Micherone, and the game ended on a line drive to DeMichele at third.