Netmen To Face Brown Challenge

By John L. Powers

Harvard's tennis team has won all three of its Northern matches by impressive margins, and it is unlikely that Brown will put a stop to the Crimson's success when the squads meet at Cambridge this afternoon at 2. p. m. But unless Harvard plays up to the potential that it has shown during the last week, the final result may not be as decisive as it should be.

The Bruins are little better than last year, when they were mopped up 9-0 by the Crimson at Providence, and although four of Brown's top six performers have returned this season, the team has managed only one victory, a 9-0 blanking of Connecticut, in four matches.

But in two of those losses, 6-3 defeats at the hands of Penn and Navy, the Bruins managed surprising individual victories, and this afternoon they will be capable of repeating a few upsets, most likely at the number one spots in singles and doubles.

Brown's top competitor, junior Don Smith, is one most likely to steal a point away from the superior Crimson forces. Last week, in one of the more surprising reversals of the spring, he outlasted Penn's superb number one man, Hugh Curry. 3-6, 6-2, 6-4, and gave Navy's Gordon Perry a stiff battle last Friday before succumbing.

But outside of Smith, the Bruins have little hope of upsetting Harvard anywhere else on the ladder.

Junior Peter Guterman, who'll play at number two, lost in straight sets to the Crimson's Bill Washaeur last year, and should fare little better against sophomore Dave Fish today. Senior Jeff Kaplan, who lost to Harvard's Larry Terrell 6-0, 6-0 last year, will have to contend with a Crimson performer of near equal strength this time, junior Chris Nielsen. So Harvard should not be in significant danger this afternoon.