Swimming Awards Are Presented To Cahalan, Hanson, and Silver

By Bennett H. Beach

Mike Cahalan, Eric Hanson, and Dave Silver were the award winners at last night's annual Harvard swimming banquet at the varsity Club.

Cahalan, a sprinter who will captain the team a second time next winter, collected 88 and three-quarters points in dual meets to win the Eugene B. Wyman Trophy as Harvard's highest scorer this season. He lost only once in the 50-free and scored ten points or more five times.

However, Cahalan failed to repeat as the Eastern Seaboard 50-free champion.

Steve Krause was the Wyman winner last year with 91 points.

Hanson won the Friends of Harvard Swimming Noteworthy Achievement Award for his three years of dedicated effort as a freestyler on the varsity. Hanson, the only senior on the squad, is a Rhodes Scholar.

The diving prize-the William J. Brooks Award-was presented to sophomore Dave Silver, the best of the Crimson's three nearly equal divers...Bill Murphy won it each of the last three years.

Neither of the two senior awards-the Stowell and Harold S. Ulen Trophies-was given this year.

In a short talk at the end of the dinner, Cahalan urged both the varsity and the freshman swimmers to think optimistically about beating Yale next winter for the first time since 1962.