Heavyweight Crew Opens Season Against Scarlet Knights, Bruins

By John L. Powers

The heaviest Harvard crew in history takes to the Raritan River, in New Brunswick, N. J., this afternoon against the lightest competition it will have to face all year-Rutgers and Brown-but you won't find Crimson coach Harry Parker taking the race lightly.

In several respects, today's Stein Cup regatta may hold the answer to whether Harvard will stay on top of a rapidly-improving EARC field as it has for the past six years, or fall behind Pennsylvania-and perhaps Princeton-at the Sprints next month.

Harvard has lost heavily from the boat that rumbled to a 4-1 season and the Sprint championship last year, and Parker has been forced to use three of last year's J. V. oarsmen-one of whom will stroke-and a sophomore, in his varsity shell this spring. A relatively ice-free winter provided valuable time on the water, but the extra practice was more necessary than ever before.

Erich Almasy, a junior who rowed in the J. V. eight last year, is the new Crimson stroke, and with an inexperienced stern four faces an undesirable test against two boats which, though weak, have raced already this season.

Behind him there is strength, but it may take it time to develop. Junior Brian Johnson another J. V. oarsman, will row at seven, but he was badly roughed up in Wednesday's Sq. riot, and his style has suffered greatly as a result.

In Thursday's practice, rowing with a damaged head and with one eye, closed from a bump. Johnson crabbed severely and was literally thrown from the shell by the force of the oar. His status today is questionable, and if Parker decides to withhold him from the race, he will face the unpleasant task of reshuffling a boat it took him weeks to put together.

If Johnson can't row however, the major harm done to the boat will be for future rowing-not for the Stein Cup race. Harvard has won all five of its triangular races this year and will be tested only by Brown, if by either of its opponents this afternoon.

Rutgers Last

Rutgers lost by four full lengths to Princeton's massive crew weeks ago and finished last in last weekend's race with Northeastern and Yale at Derby. Conn., a length and three-quarters behind the triumphant Elis. Brown, bigger but not better than usual, barely edged B. U. last week, and the Terriers are nearly equal to Yale.

The remainder of the Harvard boat is: senior Steve Brooks at six, sophomore Dave Mitchell at five, senior Ed Porter at four, junior Bill Hobbs at three, senior Charlie Hamlin at two, and senior Mike Livingston in the bow. The coxswain is junior Tom Tiffany.