Nine to Take on Dartmouth In Crucial Contest Today

By Martin R. Garay iii

After winning only one of three EIBL games last weekend, the varsity baseball team will have almost no chance of finishing in first place should it lose a double-header to Dartmouth today. The first game starts at 1 p.m. on the Harvard diamond.

The Crimson lost a single game to Princeton last Friday, and split a double-header with Columbia on Saturday.

After receiving raving pre-season reviews, the Indians had a terrible first act last weekend, losing two of three EIBL games. Only their highly touted pitcher, Pete Broberg met pre-season expectations, winning a two-hit shutout, 5-0.

Last Friday. Columbia routed the Indians' pitching staff-rated before the season by the New York Times as one of the best in the EIBL-for ten runs to achieve an easy victory over Dartmouth, last year's EIBL champion. Nor could that same pitching staff stifle the Princeton offense in the second game of a Saturday doubleheader, as the Tigers won, 8-7. Only Broberg's win in the first game saved Dartmouth from a winless first-week defense of its title.

Broberg will start in one of the games this afternoon, and either senior Chuck Seelbach or Oz Griebel will pitch the other, Seelbach, who pulled a muscle in his groin during his loss to Columbia, may not be able to pitch. Griebel hurled the last few innings of the Princeton victory, yielding two hits in the tenth to give the Tigers their eighth tally.

Although Dartmouth's pitching has been weak, its offense has been dangerous at times. The Indians lashed out 14 hits in their 7-3 victory over B. U. Monday.

Leading the hitting attack with a 319 batting average is captain Bruce Saylor, the Indians best hitter for the past two seasons. Only Steve Dagirmanjian, Dartmouth's first-baseman, joins Saylor in the over-300 department. He has only played in four games, however, while the Indian captain has been in 12.

Right-hander Phil Collins will start for the Crimson in the first game, while left-hander J. C. Nickens will go in the second game. The outcome is a toss-up.