Crime Marathoner Wins

The CRIMSON'S marathon team is still the best among Ivy League newspaper squads after yesterday's convincing win in the Boston Marathon over the Daily Pennsylvanian and the Columbia Spectator.

The CRIMSON'S Bennett Beach struggled to the Prudential in 2:55.55, while the Spectator's Russell Kahn decided at the 18-mile point that it was to the best of his interests to drop out. He then dropped out.

A big disappointment was the failure of the two Pennsylvanian runners even to enter the race officially. It was reported Sunday that the two-Rick Furlong and Cha Hwan Kovitch-had arrived in Cambridge with every intention of running. But yesterday. Jock Semple revealed that they had never entered.

"Monday's a big day of classes down here at Penn." Furlong explained last night by telephone, "and besides, we don't enjoy making fools of ourselves any more than the next guy. We're gird we stayed in Philadelphia."

"That's how I feel." Kovitch said. It was a miserable afternoon for both Kahn and Beach. "I didn't know where I was, I felt so miserable." Kahn said "My feet were killing me, but it was my legs and fatigue that forced me out. It's an experience; that much I can say. he added.

Kahn had been extremely eager when he arrived in Hopkinton to get dressed. "By the time I got off that bus going out I was so psyched that I fell like saying Let's go!"

Beach, on the other hand, had no desire to run since it was 42 degrees and rainy.

Another winner yesterday was England's Ron Hill, who finished the course in the shortest time-a record 2:10.