Godard Shows New Revolutionary Film

Jean-Luc Godard described "See You at Mao." the most recent film made by Godard and his associates, as "an attempt to focus on the main forces of class struggle in Great Britain." Godard made his remarks after a showing of the film last night at Lowell Lecture Hall.

Jean-Pierre Gorin, a member of Godard's Dziga Vertou Group, also spoke.

Godard said that "the movie as image and sound is a part of the ideological struggle. The movie is like a blackboard-a revolutionary movie can show how the arms struggle may be done."

"See You at Mao" was originally produced for the ITV television network in Great Britain but it was not accepted for air time.

The film contains a long track showing workers on an automobile assembly line, and another scene in which Trotskyite workers are shown having an ideological discussion.

Student radicals were shown in a series of close-ups while writing a song and making posters.

Godard said, "We have shown the workers as a group and the students as individuals because the workers in 1968 were more advanced as a political group than the students."

Godard also spoke of the problems confronted by a group making political films together. "Each shot [should] be the result of a political discussion," he said. Dziga Vertou is now working on a film of the Palestine Liberation Movement.