M. I. T. Presents Challenge Golfers to Defend Boston Title

By Martin R. Garay iii

For the past four years the Crimson golf team has won the Greater Boston Golf Championships without too much trouble. The golfers may do it again this year, but they face a stiff challenge from the M. I. T. Beavers, who placed second in last year's tourney.

The championships begin this morning at 8 a. m., and they will be played at the Concord Country Club, the Crimson's and Beaver's home course. Along with M. I. T., Harvard faces challenges from B. C., B. U., Northeastern, and Tufts in the medal play competition. Brandeis-who usually enters the competition-will not be participating because of the Passover holidays.

Scoring

In medal play competition, as in professional tourneys, leaders are computed on the basis of match scores, rather than the number of holes they take. The team score is based on the five lowest tallies received by members of the squad over 36 holes. In previous years, team scores were based on the results of all seven golfers.

Last season, the Beavers, playing in wet and windy conditions, got off to a very good start, and were leading Harvard by eight strokes at the end of the first round. They fell to second place after a strong effort in the second round by Jack Purdy. Cooch Owen, Yank Heisler, and former captain Bruce LoPucki. The effort gave Harvard the victory by 26 strokes.

The M. I. T. squad has not had a brilliant showing this season, losing three 4-3 matches. But they do have four golfers from last year's squad-Ken Smolek. Don Anderson, John Light, and Bob Armstrong, "We've been in and out all season." Beaver coach Jerry Banner said last night.

"Anything can happen at the Concord. There are several par-4 holes at the Concord which you could blow and end up with an eight or nine Harvard is the favorite, but we could surprise them," he said.

Heisler. Purdy, and Owen are back this year for the Crimson. They haven't been the best golfers at Harvard this year, but their scores are usually respectable, and they should take one or two of the top spots.

Tim Schaaf, who lost his last two matches, could do very well. He has been consistently among the top golfers on the squad and usually shoots close to par. Fred Sherman, in the number seven spot, has yet to lose a match this season, and he could pull an upset and win individual honors.