Years of Peaceful Demonstrations Fail to Stop Southeast Asian War

The disbanding of the Vietnam Moratorium Committee marks the end of yet another chapter in the continuing story of the anti-war movement.

Already the story has begun to repeat itself: from the initial, poorly-attended demonstrations following the war's escalation in 1965, to the attempt at Presidential politics in 1968, to the massive demonstrations of 1969, to the congressional elections of 1970-the pattern seems to be getting predictable.

Whatever the tactics, the results have all been the same and the war continues. Of course some things have changed since 1965-Lyndon Johnson is no longer President, the Paris peace talks have been going on now for two years and dissent has gradually become fashionable, if not politically effective.

Richard Nixon is now President and he has promised to end the war. Every few months, he announces troop withdrawals, but it is obvious that American soldiers will be in Vietnam for many years to come.

NEWS ANALYSIS

No one can deny that there has been at least some change of opinion on the part of the American people, but this change has been precipitated less by anti-war rallies and candidates than by the oppressive reality of a war that has continued for more than five years.

For those who oppose the Vietnam war not out of war weariness but because they feel it is fundamentally wrong, the endless cycle of the anti-war movement has led to a mounting frustration and anger. This new mood came to the surface Wednesday, not just in the street fighting of the 3000 people in Harvard Square, but in the poor attendance and

He conceded, however, that "the failure of the institutions of government to respond" and the "lack of any real kind of alternative leadership" had hindered the organization's attempt to change the Administration's policies through massive anti-war demonstrations.

All four national coordinators said they will continue to work in the anti-war movement.