Freshman Lacrosse Team Takes Opening Five Contests With Ease

Harvard's freshmen lacrosse team usually has a difficult time finding good competition, and this year is no exception. No one has come within seven goals of the Crimson.

Harvard's first three games were target practice. The Crimson ran up increasingly lopsided scores against prep school teams. bombing Deerfield. 13-5; Exeter, 18-5; and Governor Dummer, 23-1. The freshmen slacked off in the next two, but neither was close as UMass fell 11-4, and Dartmouth lost 13-6, yesterday.

Coach Bill McCollom has the problem of keeping his team from becoming sluggish. if not bored, as it beats inferior opponents. He says that his players' "perfectionism and personal pride" seem to be sufficient to keep them playing well most of the time.

Not all of Harvard's schedule is easy. The Crimson will have to play very well to beat Brown and Andover. the only two teams that defeated the Harvard freshmen last year.

McCollom has nothing but praise for the unit that has been scoring in double figures in every game. He described 6'3", 200-pound attackman John Hagerty as "amazing," Hagerty is averaging about five goals a game, and against Governor Dummer he scored nine. According to McCollom, the other two attackmen. Steve Milliken and Fred Adair, are "equally competent,"

McCollom has a strong starting midfield in Garth Ballantyne. Ted Campbell, and Jay Himmilstein, but the other lines lack experience,

Brian Everist and Charlie Kittredge are the best players on a defense that has yet to be seriously tested.