Harvard Travels to Ithaca To Battle Big Red Golfers

By Martin R. Garay iii

The Cornell golf team opens its season today with a match against Harvard. Playing on its home course, the Big Red-which only lost to Harvard 4-3 last year-should be tough competition for the Crimson squad.

The loss to the Crimson last year marred an otherwise perfect season for the Cornell golf team. Although they defeated strong New York competition-including Army, Syracuse and Colgate-the Cornell golfers did not meet any strong Ivy teams-except for Harvard.

Only three lettermen return to the Cornell team from last year's squad-captain Doug Durine, Steve Hindy, and Jack Steinbuhler-and these three will probably play against Harvard's three veterans.

Surine defeated Crimson captain Yank Heisler ? last year, 3 and 2. Heisler will tee off with the Big Red captain this afternoon, and his chances of defeating him should be better than ever.

"I probably played my worst match of my career against Surine last year, and he only beat me 3 and 2," Heisler said. "While my game isn't at its best right now, I have been hitting the ball a little better." he added.

Bad Luck for Purdy

Jack Purdy, who will play in the number two position, has had a tough time winning this season, despite turning in a number of good rounds. "Jack's been playing well, but he has faced golfers that have been very hot." Heisler said.

Purdy and his teammates will need to be good if they hope to get through the tough Cornell course with any success. The Big Red course-one of the toughest the Crimson will play on this year-cuts through woods, and has large sand traps surrounding huge, well-cut greens.

No Practice Round

Harvard last played on Cornell's course two years ago, and the Crimson golfers will not get a chance to play a practice round before today's match.

Cooch Owen, Tim Schaaf, and Skip Kistner will play in their usual positions-three, four, and five-and after seven consecutive wins. Fred Sherman has been moved up to the number six position.

His excellent play has been due in part to his uncanny ability to keep the ball in the fairway, or in the "slot." He has done that so well that his teammates have given him the nickname "slotman."