Panthers Say Rally Has Peaceful Intent But New Haven, Yale Anticipate Trouble

NEW HAVEN, Conn., April 27-The leadership of Friday's Black Panther demonstration proclaimed yesterday its intention to keep the protest peaceful. but tension at Yale and in New Haven continues to grow as Friday draws nearer.

Police yesterday conducted an intensive search for 300 bayonet-equipped riot guns which were stolen Sunday in North Branford. The guns were reportedly awaiting delivery to the nearby Branford police department.

'Peacefully Intended'

The New Haven Panther Defense Committee-a predominantly white group which is coordinating plans for the demonstration-released a statement last night by Big Man, Deputy Minister of Information of the Black Panther Party which said that the demonstrations were "peacefully intended."

Organizers have indicated that they expect more than 50,000 people from all over the East to attend the two day rally in support of Black Panther National Chairman Bobby G. Seale and nine other Black Panthers who are facing charges of murder here.

The Defense Committee released a schedule of events, which calls for two mass rallies Friday and Saturday on the green in front of the courthouse where bail hearings for Scale are being held. The schedule also includes a rock concert and dance at Yale's Ingalls Rink and workshops and teach-ins during the afternoons.

Permits Issued

The New Haven Police have issued permits for the use of the green. Ann Froines. a leader in the Defense Committee and wife of Chicago Conspiracy defendant John Froines, said last night. Mrs. Froines also said that the Committee had made arrangements for parade marshalls, legal observers, and medical personnel to be on hand.

"We don't anticipate any trouble." Mrs. Froines said. "We don't see the marshalls as a buffer between the demonstrators and police."

However, Yale University and the New Haven community-worried by rumors that bands of militants intent on violence may converge on the city this Friday-continued to prepare for a violent crowd.

The Yale administration-pressed by a week-long student strike and aware of statements by some organizers in other cities that Yale may be considered a target if violence flares-attempted to defuse the situation yesterday by announcing plans to cooperate withprotestors coming in for the weekend.

The University agreed to set up first aid stations at points around the campus and special facilities in the Yale-New Haven Hospital. It will also open the parking areas around the Yale Bowl to house out of town protestors and may provide inexpensive meals to the public at the University dining halls.

Yesterday morning, a small fire flared briefly in the Yale Law School Library. The blaze was extinguished after doing $2000 damage. Preliminary reports indicate a strong possibility of arson. a fact which has served to increase the tension here.

Many business in downtown New Haven have begun boarding display windows and some have indicated their intention to close their doors for the weekend.

Liggett's Drugstore, located in the center of the Yale campus. has covered all its windows with boards which bear the message: "Continental Insurance Co. cancelled our accident insurance."