Professors Seek Autonomy For Social Psychologists

By Jeff Magalif

The decision of Harvard sociologists to leave the Social Relations Department and form a department of their own has encouraged some social psychologists in Soc Rel to consider taking similar action.

The Soc Rel faculty approved on March 6 the creation of an independent Sociology Department, subject to final approval by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. The fields of social psychology, developmental and personality psychology, and social anthropology remained within Soc Rel.

"What's left is a kind of 'Remnant Relations,'" Thomas F. Pettingrew, professor of Social Psychology, said yesterday. "It makes very little intellectual sense and is extremely bad for the development of social psychology."

Pettigrew has suggested that social psychology combine with developmental and personality psychology, with social anthropology shifting to the Anthropology Department.

This plan. however, has met with little enthusiasm outside social psychology. And if it is defeated. Pettigrew said, "We will move for a separate Social Psychology Department."

Robert F. Bales. professor of Social Relations, has lent his support to the separatist movement. "It is desirable for social psychology to achieve independent status," Bales said yesterday.

David C. McClelland, professor of Psychology, disagreed yesterday with Pettigrew's evaluation of the present situation of Soc Rel. "We could make sense out of the department if we wanted," McClelland said. "but if Pettigrew pushes hard enough for independence, he can win."

"Everybody is demanding his own piece of turf," McClelland added. "Eventually, each professor will have his own department."

The social psychology and social anthropology wings of Soc Rel-including faculty members and graduate students-are meeting separately at noon today. The non-sociologist faculty members of the department will meet Thursday to discuss the proposals of Pettigrew and others.

"The departure of the sociologists from Soc Rel has had a greater effect than anyone could have predicted," B. Irven Devore, associate professor of Anthropology. said yesterday.