Favored Courtmen Face Cornell, Will Play Army With Little Rest

The Cornell tennis team won't beat Harvard today at Ithaca, but it may keep them from going to bed early.

And Harvard may be so tired after today's late-afternoon match against the Big Red and a long late-night drive to West Point that it could lose to Army Saturday afternoon.

The Crimson's number-three man Chris Nielsen maintains that the team is not happy about their schedule. "We're screwed." he said.

The tight schedule results from a Cornell regulation-Harvard manager Rej Foster explained yesterday-which prohibits any athletic contests before 4:30 p.m. on weekdays so that Big Red athletes will not be distracted from their studies.

Sleepless- Night

If the match drags on. there is a possibility that the Harvard team will not arrive at West Point until two or three in the morning. Their match against the Army team is less than 12 hours later.

Army will be strong, but Cornell will be weak. Last year the Big Red beat out Brown for last place in the Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis League with a perfect 0-6 record and this year it is on its way to doing it again.

The Big Red does have one strong player, sophomore Dirk Dugan. Dugan's opponent in today's match. Harvard's number-one man Bill Washauer, is not confident of beating him. "Dugan beat Jeff Dryer of Army who beat Mike Pelletier of Amherst who beat me." said Washaner.

Getting Their Rest

The Crimson should have little trouble elsewhere on the singles ladder, but it may get careless in the doubles. Due to financial limitations, Harvard can not bring any substitutes to play doubles matches, and the first six will be more interested in resting for the Army matches than playing doubles against Cornell.

Washauer summed up the team's sentiments about the Cornell match: "We just want to get it over with."