Deans Organized ROTC Defenders

By David R. Ignatius

Several members of the Strike Steering Committee have privately voiced feelings that this year the Administration has tried to bust the strike without police. Some new evidence of University non-neutrality in the present situation may substantiate the charges.

Dean Dunlop said last night that in the last week, students and Faculty have been recruited to try to "keep things cool."

NEWS FEATURE

In a speech before the Faculty's emergency meeting last Thursday, Dunlop had thanked those who had been trying to forestall militant demonstrations, and gave a University telephone extension where others interested in joining the effort could get information.

Last night he added, "We have asked our tutors. House Masters, and professors to try to flood areas of possible confrontation, as at Shannon Hall last night."

Dunlop was apparently referring to what many had assumed was a spontaneously organized mass of students who had blocked the SDS march on Shannon Hall at the intersection of

Kirkland and Quincy Streets. Dunlop said that he had not been there, because he had been "on the phone back at 'Headquarters.'"

In another interview last night, Burris Young, assistant dean of Freshmen, said that he thought the Tuesday night counter demonstrators were "damn sensible people." He said that he had personally asked the "jocks" in the group to stay back along Divinity Avenue "to avoid posible violence."

When asked about a charge by an unidentified member of the Strike Steering Committee that Young had refused to allow her to use a megaphone in Lehman Hall Friday night to try to get the crowd in Harvard Square to disperse, Young said that he had been asked by Chief Regan of the Cambridge Police to stop any amplified speakers using Harvard buildings.

Young explained that he expected police to charge soon, and "did not want another panic situation." "I've seen what happens," Young said, "and I think that at that point a bullhorn saying anything would have been inflammatory."